Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Day 1

Or 2 if you want to get technical. This is where I talk about how I've been since my last post, blah blah blah, you know the drill.

I'm happy to say that I made it to treatment this morning. It's always a struggle for me to get going before 10 or later, so I guess every morning I manage to drag my ass off of my air mattress in my third floor living space is a small victory for me. That's what it's about at this point - small victories, small accomplishments. It's about all I can do. Unfortunately that's the only small goal I have accomplished yet today - it was supposed to be laundry day (more on that tomorrow, lol) but I got sidetracked, as I am wont to do. Called a psychiatrist in the town I am moving to to see if I could get with her practice  when I move there, but alas, no dice. Oh well. I tried?

This morning in treatment we discussed goal setting. I have lofty, lofty goals for myself. I chuckled (in my head) as the 'instructor' said they should be attainable. I picked a more reasonable goal for myself.

I want, no - NEED to get a dog. I honestly think that having the companionship of a dog would really spring me forward in my recovery. Not only would it provide me with unconditional love (always a good thing) but also an exercise buddy, some structure to my day, and a reason to drag my ass out of the bed in the morning. I'm thinking about a schnauzer or schnauzer mix. Will I name it Toto? No.

Anyway I've just been starving for animal attention lately, which is hard to get through when you get as much emotional solace from animals as I do. Hell when I was growing up, animals were pretty much my only friends. I related better to them than I did to other people. Yeah, I was a weird kid. Anyway I am hoping to have a canine companion within the next couple of months, really once I get settled in at my new place. Hopefully I can find a room in an apartment that would be cool with me adopting one!

Tonight I am anticipating a fun evening. Seeing friends... it's a good thing. I should do more of it...

PS. Wanted to thank you all for your kind words on my last post. I love and miss all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment